COMPETITION SEASON 2018
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
With competitions approaching soon, I would like to touch base with everyone regarding a few rules/requirements during competition season. I look forward to another great adventure. We have some very talented students and they are doing a fantastic job!
1. MAKE-UP: Everyone will need to wear specific make-up applied dark & heavy. It is a competition so we need to look alike and we need to look our absolute best. Parents please be responsible for your child’s make-up. Make-up should be applied as followed.
Foundation - Any brand or color that matches skin tone. This helps keep the make-up on!
Black eyeliner - Any brand. Top & bottom apply thick (go out a little past eyes-wing)
Eye Shadow - Covergirl Trunaked Nudes #805 OR Sephora Naked Urban Decay Basics
(Covergirl is the less expensive option and available at local stores)
Lipstick - Anastasia Beverly Hills liquid lipstick color: Sarafine OR Covergirl Outlast #507 Ever Red (comes in box with 2 sticks lipstick & gloss)
Mascara - Black, any brand top & bottom over fake lashes.
Blush - Any brand on cheek bones. Bolder pinks are best.
Lip Liner - Any brand Red or burgundy lip liner-line the outer lips
Bronzer - Any brand use all over face, neck and chest. Adds shine and glow on stage.
Eyelashes - Ardell #105 Black are the best and can be purchased at CVS etc. (not mandatory but allowed for students under age 11).
Please give yourself plenty of time for hair and make-up. The competition schedule will not be out until one week prior to the competition. I will let you know the order and time frame of your routines as soon as I can.
2. HAIR: Your hair should always be neatly slicked back-no bumps and in a bun with a hair net and your matching synthetic hair piece (type of hairpiece TBD depending on routine). All hair elastics and bobby pins must match your hair color, not the color of the costume. Parents please remember that they need you to help them make it perfect so please come back stage to help your child be prepared.
3. ATTENDANCE: Attendance is crucial. As it is getting closer to competitions it is even more important that everyone attends all dance classes. Competing teams only work well together if we are ALL present, especially in the final weeks before competing.
4. PRACTICING: Being a competition student is a big commitment. Everyone needs to practice on their own time. If anyone would like a CD of their music please bring one in and I will copy the songs for you. The more you practice the better you feel and look. We may be scheduling some extra practices or extending regular rehearsal times during the last couple of weeks before competing.
5. COSTUMES: Costumes have been handed out. Please put them in a safe place HUNG up, not rolled in a ball/bag. You should get Ziploc bags for each costume containing any accessories. Make sure you LABEL EVERYTHING - costumes, shoes, accessories, make-up, hair supplies, etc. All costumes require Jazzy Tan Body Wrappers full body stirrup (for lyrical and contemporary numbers) or convertible tights for routines with shoes. We must use this color to match our tan jazz shoes. The body tights are much more efficient than regular tights. They offer more support and do not create tight waist lines as they come over the shoulders. Costumes will be worn at our February performance at the Chelmsford Senior Center. This will serve as a dress rehearsal for competition. Those of you that are in several numbers can wear their hair in a bun with you synthentic hair scrunchie. Please take extra good care of your costumes and be sure to keep them clean. Be sure not to leave any costumes or accessories behind as they are irreplaceable.
Earrings - Please make sure everyone has clean and sparkly competition earrings. They tend to dull and rust over time. Please make sure yours are in top shape. We have a few new pairs of earrings available to purchase for $10. Please see Karrie.
Hair pieces- Everyone should own a hair piece for competition. Please make sure your hair pieces are in great shape.
Shoes - All routines will wear either tan or black jazz shoes, or nude foot undeez. Please be sure you know which shoes you are wearing and that they are all in top condition. Competition shoes should never be the shoes that you wear all season to practice in. However, you should wear your competition shoes to a few prior rehearsals to make sure they are broken in and you are used to dancing in them.
6. COMPETITION JACKETS: All competition students are required to wear their "Gotta Dance" jacket and black dance pants to competitions and during awards. Please remember you are representing your studio in this jacket. Wear it with pride and always be kind to other dancers and studios.
Unfortunately, we do not receive a confirmation of exact days and times until one to two weeks prior to competition. They do ask us to block off both the Saturday and Sunday of the weekend of the event (or in some cases Friday as well). When I receive the detailed information, you will receive a copy through email. You need to arrive to competition fully dressed with make-up and hair done for your first number 1.5 hours before your scheduled performance time. Whatever time you are scheduled to be there, you must walk into the competition fully ready to perform-NO EXCUSES. Please allow yourself EXTRA travel time.
2018 SCHEDULED COMPETITIONS:
March 9-11, 2018 Comp. #1 (tentative) - The Power of Dance, Methuen, MA
March 23-25, 2018 Comp. #2 – Turn It Up Dance Challenge, Milford, MA
April 6-8, 2018 Comp. #3 - (tentative) – Save the date (until 12/31/18) Elite Dance Challenge, Derry, NH (Could be changed from the 4/29 comp if availability opens)
April 28-29, 2018 Comp #3 – Elite Dance Challenge, Bellingham, MA (tentative) (This could possibly change to 4/6-4/8 in Derry depending on availability. If change takes place, we will know by Dec. 1st)
Competition Team Nationals (will take a vote):
July 8 - July 12, 2018 Nationals Elite Dance Challenge, Poconos, PA
July 18 – July 22, 2018 Nationals Elite Dance Challenge, Providence, RI
July 10 – July 15, 2018 Turn It Up Dance Challenge, Cape Cod, MA
• Behavior is of utmost importance at competitions. Your behavior reflects our studio. Please make us proud! Please no screaming of individual names, this is unfair to other students and is very annoying! By all means you may cheer and clap for the whole team.
• NO UNDERWEAR WITH COSTUMES
• NO NAIL POLISH
• NO JEWELRY/PIERCINGS/TATTOOS-including belly rings & top of ears. Jewelry only allowed is if it is part of your costume.
• When arriving to a competition head toward the dressing rooms and you should find someone there from "Gotta Dance" All students will be together in one dressing room. Sometimes the students are allowed to watch other dances, we will let you know if this is permitted once we arrive to competition. We always line up about 10 numbers in advanced.
• PLEASE DO NOT WALK IN & OUT OF THE AUDITORIUM WHILE A DANCE IS PERFROMING ON STAGE, THIS IS RUDE & DISRESPECTFUL. You will see many people do this, so please do not follow their lead.
• If we receive any awards we will choose one person per group to represent the studio and go up to accept the award. Once awards are over we will meet back in the dressing rooms.
• GOOD LUCK & DON’T FORGET TO SMILE & HAVE FUN!
EVERYTHING YOU NEED LIST
_ Translucent Loose Powder
_ Eye Shadows
_ Black Mascara
_ Black eye liner
_ 2 pairs of false lashes (just in case!)
_ Eyelash Adhesive (DUO is the BEST!)
_ Lip Pencil liner (any red, burgundy)
_ Lip Stick
_ Makeup Brushes/applicators
_ Makeup Remover Pads (tons of these to quick change make up from one number to other numbers)
_ Cotton Pads
_ Nail Polish Remover
_ Clear Nail Polish (great to stop a run in tights)
_ Nail Clippers/Nail File
_ Clear Gel Deodorant/Anti-perspirant
_ Spray bottle with water
_ Hair Gel
_ Hair Spray
_ Hairnets (to match your hair)
_ Hair pins/Bobby Pins (to match your hair)
_ Comb/Brush Extra elastics that match YOUR hair color
_ All Costumes AND Pieces (Head/Arm/Leg/Body pieces)
_ All Jewelry
_ Any Individual Props You Are Responsible For
_ Sewing Kit: Thread that matches all costumes, Needles, Safety Pins, Scissors
_ Static Guard
_ Lint Brush
_ Hot Glue Gun/Super glue
_ Double-sided Tape
_ Black electrical tape
_ Body Adhesive (if necessary)
_ Spare clear and tan bra straps
_ Tights in appropriate colors
_ Extra tights (Just in case!!)
-All dance shoes
_ Clear Band-Aids
_ Icy Hot/BioFreeze
_ Children's/Adult Tylenol and/or Advil
_ Handi Wipes
_ Alcohol Pads
_ Paper Towels
_ Ice Pack
_ Ace Bandage
_ Bottle water
_ Granola/Powder Bars
_ Trail Mix
_ A towel
_ Camera (charge battery!) PICTURES CAN BE TAKEN BACKSTAGE ONLY
_ New Batteries (just in case)
_ Slippers/Slipper Socks/Flip Flops
_ Company Warm Up Suit
_ Teen Magazines/Madlibs/Coloring Books, etc. (items to keep you busy)
These items are just suggestions. It's always better to be over prepared than not.
***RULE OF THUMB WITH ANY OF YOUR PERSONAL PROPERTY......IF YOU LOVE IT, LEAVE IT AT HOME SO YOU DON’T LOSE OR FORGET IT